If you know me at all, you’ll know that I love my birthday.
The countdown has been on since New Years.
I wish I could tell you it’s because of some sentimental reason.
But I just love my birthday, and I love that I get to share it with my best friend.
It’s always been one of my favorite days of the year, besides Christmas.
As you get older, some may say it looses its spark.
That once you turn 21 every birthday after that sucks.
Don’t believe them.
Each and every birthday after is what you make it.
If you don’t care about your birthday, don’t care.
But if you want to be treated like a queen put that crown on.
Its what you want it to be.
For instance, I turn 28 on Thursday.
I’m two years away from 30..don’t panic Megan..DONT PANIC.
And I think my birthday is just as special as when I was younger.
It’s your day to accept your awesomeness.
Told you I loved birthdays.
I’ve been trying to think of a birthday blog post, something to summarize how awesome my 27th year was.
Although I couldn’t tell you 27 life lessons I learned while being 27, I can definitely highlight 27 things about this year.
27 was a great year.
And I think you should always leave one year with positive thoughts, in hope that the next year will be just as great if not better.
So I bring you my early birthday present,
27 things that I loved about being 27.
1. That the dodgers made it to the World Series.
2. My amazing nephew Cam.
3. Deciding to dye my hair brown again.
4. My hurdle crew.
5. When I learned to let the negative people go.
6. Every single milestone that Ian hit; crawling, getting his teeth, walking, saying mama and dada. The list goes on people.
7. Realizing how capable I am.
8. Crossing another baseball stadium off of my list.
9. Ian taking his first trip to California.
10. That McKay finally got their new turf.
11. Seeing two of the kids I use to coach running in college.
12. Taking my family pictures.
13. Dressing up as the power rangers for Halloween.
14. Leaving my old job at the hospital.
15. Starting my new job at McKay.
16. Taking Ian to his first college football game, even though it was an Oregon State game.
17. Running my first race in three years and placing first in my age group.
18. Watching the people I love change for the better.
19. My dads awesome surprise birthday party.
20. Our multiple beach trip with our friends and their families.
21. Getting my new tattoo.
22. Taylor Swift releasing her new album “Reputation.”
23. Deciding to watch every episode of Will and Grace.
24. The LANY concert that I love so much.
25. Getting my nose pierced.
26. One of my hurdlers getting 5th in the 110’s at the district Track meet.
27. Finding out that New Girl got one more season.
There you have it.
Honestly I’ll admit, the last six or so we’re hard to think of. I had to look at the pictures on my phone and try to remember what happened.
But the first 20 or so just came to me, as fast as I could type them.
The things that truly made me smile this year.
And not everything has to be some sentimental life lesson about finding yourself.
It can be as easy as finding a new tv show you liked, or realizing a local coffee shop serves pumpkin lattes all year round.
The small things make up the big picture.
The memories you had.
The lessons you may have learned.
The things that made you smile.
Those are what make up your year.
I hope 28 brings me half as much joy as 27 brought me.
I hope its filled with more concerts, baseball games, and memories of my little boy.
This will be a great year, I can feel it.