If you don’t like Taylor Swift, I want to preface this by saying sorry. I’ve written over 1500 words on my favorite Taylor songs and I have no regrets.
I was first introduced to Taylor Swift when I was a junior in High School. I was 16 and she was 16. Her songs were my life, and I related to each and every word. I was so amazed.
There was someone out there who was singing my life, the words in my head and the feelings in my heart, sung by someone my age.
I related to everything.
Every two years, in the heart of fall, she would release an album that continued to grow with me. There was always a song for every moment in my life.
If I had just gotten dumped, there was a song that could capture every teardrop I wasted crying over it.
If I met a boy who drove me crazy, that I was madly in love with the thought of them and the possibility of what could be, there was a song for that.
If I had just turned 22 and needed an anthem, there was a song for that.
Taylor just got me.
I think we all have that artist, who we can always relate to, or who makes us feel a certain way.
Taylor will always be that for me.
So I decided to write my fun day post about my top Taylor songs.
Yeah you heard me, a whole blog post about my top 10 Taylor Swift songs.
She’s a big deal.
So here it goes people, you’ve been warned.
I don’t take this stuff lightly.
- Picture to Burn- Taylor Swift – This song brings back one of my favorite memories growing up. I had just broken up with the boy I was dating my senior year in High School. It was a bad breakup and I quickly realized that he was such a waste of time. I was driving to school with my sister after getting coffee, while we were listening to our favorite country music radio station. The DJ’s were talking about ringtones and wanted people to call in and let them know what their ringtones were and why. Mine just so happened to be Picture to Burn, for obvious reasons. I thought it would be hilarious to call them up, and sure enough someone answered on the other end. They asked me what my ringtone was and why. The guy loved it and asked me if they could put me on the radio, my heart sunk. I was so nervous. Next thing I know I’m talking to the radio station DJ’s that I listened to every morning. I told them that my boyfriend, who was two years younger than me, left me for someone else. They proceeded to bash him and told me I deserved someone my own age. Seriously the coolest thing for a heartbroken seventeen year old.
Favorite Line: I realized you love yourself more than you could ever love me.
- The Way I Loved You- Fearless – I feel like this song doesn’t get enough love with Taylor Swift fans, or swifties if you will, some of you may not even know what it is. The song compares two relationships, one is perfect and polished and everything you think you want. While the next is crazy, emotional, and exhausting. It’s that relationship that drives you insane but you love it at the same time. I liked a boy who did this to me, until the point where it wasn’t good for either of us. I remember listening to this song over and over again during that summer. Comparing this relationship to my last and replaying things in my head. To me this song shows something that’s real for a lot of people. Getting in those relationships that you know you shouldn’t be in, but for some reason you love the madness, you love how crazy it makes you and how it’s not easy.
Favorite Line: It’s a roller coaster kind of love, and I never knew I could feel that much.
- Sparks Fly- Speak Now – Oh how I love this song. Honestly, it’s number one in my book. Back in the day when you downloaded music from sketchy sites I found this weird recording of Taylor Swift singing a song called Sparks Fly. I loved it, but the quality was so bad that I couldn’t hear much of what she was saying. This was super early in her career just after her first album. I would listen to it all the time. When I saw the track list for her third album a few years later I freaked out, I couldn’t believe it. The song I admired for so long was finally going to be here, in all it’s beauty. I remember playing it whenever I was crushing on someone. Thinking about everything they did that captivated me and consumed my every thought. I can still see the car dance party sessions with my sister singing our hearts out to this song.
Favorite Line: I’m captivated by you baby like a firework show.
- Enchanted- Speak Now- I love this song. How she sings about the feeling of meeting someone for the first time and not knowing what to do with yourself. You feel a connection and can’t stop yourself from thinking about them late at night. It represents that fantasy of stealing glances with someone from across the other room and suddenly you’re thinking about what you might do on your first date. How your mind rushes with excitement, fear, and hope that one day this might lead to something magical.
Favorite Line: The lingering question kept me up, 2 AM who do you love.
- Last Kiss – Speak Now – The Speak Now album came out fall of 2010, I was a Junior in College. I was dating someone who in the end really didn’t care. He didn’t believe in love the way I did, and he didn’t believe in us the way I did. I think I had built it up in my head to be more than it could have actually been. I wanted it to last so bad. After we broke up I would just pop in my headphones and listen to this song on repeat. Not only was it a sad song about breaking up and going on with the rest of your life without each other, but it meant more for me. It reminded me that here I was making this sad song about him. I was still thinking about him, while he wasn’t doing the same. He wasn’t heartbroken. One of the last lines of the songs says “you can plan for a change in the weather or time, but I never planned on you changing your mind.” This part always hits me so hard, how someone can just change their mind and decide that they don’t care anymore. And how, in that moment you decide, you don’t care either.
Favorite Line: All that I know is I don’t know, how to be something you miss.
- All Too Well – Red – I lied when I said speak now is my favorite, this song is my favorite. I don’t care how lame it sounds, but this song gives me goosebumps. It reminds me of fall and starting over. How love falls apart and picks itself back up. How you can be so angry and hurt from someone and want to tell them more than anything. That they hurt you, and broke you, but you remember it, you’ll never forget it and you’re stronger because of it. That they might have broken you for that second in time but you’ll be ok. That you don’t need them anymore.
Favorite Line: And you call me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the name of being honest.
- Wonderland – 1989 – This is another song that I feel like doesn’t get enough love. It plays off of Alice In Wonderland a little and sounds almost whimsical at first. The more you listen the more you realize that it’a about a relationship that goes wrong suddenly. How at first you’re in your own little world, and suddenly you realize there are people watching, whispering, and wanting to have a say in your relationship. I’ve definitely felt like this in a relationship once, and certain people around us wanted to try and get involved in it. I remember one time specifically in College, I was dating someone for about a year and one of our “friends” told him one night that I was a terrible person and there was no reason he should be dating me. Those type of people make it hard, they make you think you can continue on in your relationship when you clearly can’t.
Favorite Line: And we pretended it would last forever.
- Dancing With Our Hands Tied – Reputation – I had waited so long for this album and I loved it right away. The whole thing is mature and it doesn’t seem like Taylor’s trying too hard. Dancing with Our Hands Tied is all about being in that relationship where you’re so consumed with the person that you don’t realize everything that’s holding it back. You want nothing more than to be with them but everything else is telling you that it won’t work. How you’re with each other together in impossible circumstances. But I mainly love it because when Ian and I have dance parties, this is one of his favorites.
Favorite Line: I’d kiss you as the lights went down, swaying as the room burnt down.
- New Years Day – Reputation – After all of the other songs on the reputation album, I was not ready for this one. It’s so sweet, so subtle, and captures a relationship perfectly. In the age of hookups and tinder dates it almost makes you feel not normal for being with your now husband for four and a half years, or being completely content with the relationship you’re in. How life can happen and be wonderful, with your best friend by your side. That you’re not quite sure how it’ll go but it’s worth it with someone you love by your side.
Favorite Line: Don’t read the last page.
- Teardrops On My Guitar- Taylor Swift – This was the original t swift song for me. I remember listening to it in high school when I liked someone who had no idea I existed. Completely hopeless and besides myself. I feel like every girl who loves Taylor Swift had their “teardrops on my guitar” moment. When they were so madly in love with the thought of someone who they felt like they could never have.
Favorite Line: I wonder if he knows he’s all I think about at night.
There you have it folks, 1772 words on my love for Taylor Swift and my favorite songs.
If you made it this far, you da real mvp.
I just love everything about her.
How her words are forever engraved in my mind.
I grew up right along side her and her songs.
And you bet I’ll be rocking out at her Reputation tour this May.
See you then Tswizzle.
P.S I’ve linked the songs below if you want to give them a listen.