I have this weird relationship with driving.
At first, I hated it.
I was so excited to learn how to drive.
This was it..my road to freedom.
Or so I thought.
I passed the actual driving test on the very first try.
But failed the computer test the first time.
After the fifth they make you wait a certain amount of time before you take it again.
What can I say….I hate taking tests.
During that fun little waiting period in between test, Janelle and I got into a car accident.
It completely ruined driving for me.
So I swore it off completely.
My sister had her license, so why did I need mine?
Fast forward to the day I turned eighteen.
At that age our DMV allows you to just walk in and get your license if you’ve passed the driving test but not the computer test.
I finally had my license.
But refused to drive still.
It was a slow process, driving again.
I didn’t really start driving again until the summer of 2010.
Until I hit a parked car and swore it off again.
I think I started really driving after college.
I had a different job than my sister and basically had to drive.
It wasn’t even until this last September that I drove myself to a new city.
Don’t take this the wrong way.
I am a fine driver.
I just had a strained relationship with it.
I love it now though, for the most part.
We just got off to a rocky start.
Our relationship is like an old married couple.
We fight, and bicker all the time.
But at the end of the day we love each other.
I decided to document our daily commute together to give you all a glimpse into our relationship.
I hope it’s something you can relate to on a spiritual level.
50 thoughts I have while driving.
- Why are you so cold?? Seriously let’s turn that heat UP!
- Okay okay calm down it doesn’t need to be that hot.
- Ughhh nothings on this station this morning.
- Or this one..
- Or this one..
- I give up! I’ll settle with commercials.
- Now the real question is, do I want coffee?
- I mean I’m tired….and it sounds delicious.
- COFFEE IT IS!!
- Oh god why is the music so loud?
- It’s 6:15 in morning calm it down folks.
- Oh god stop yelling….just give me my coffee.
- Thank you…now let me leave.
- Mmmmm nectar of the gods.
- This light…you’ll be the death of me.
- If only I could turn left on this red.
- But something about the “law” makes it illegal.
- Rules rules.
- No no no don’t use your turning signal it’s fine.
- Oh I see you’re waiting until the middle of your turn to use your turning signal…makes sense.
- I swear I always hit so many red lights.
- Oooo I like this song.
- Can they see me dancing? No..perfect!!
- Woah my straw works as a microphone…BOOM!!
- Oh green light…whoops!
- Pay attention Megan.
- What is the speed limit? 35?
- WHY ARE WE GOING 25??
- Oh that’s right the speed limit is a suggestion..I forgot..silly me!!
- Please turn please turn please turn.
- YESSSS!! BE GONE PEASANT!!
- (Insert self made car acceleration noises.)
- HERE I GO AGAIN ON MY OWNNNNNN.
- GOING DOWN THE ONLY ROAD I’VE EVER KNOWNNNN.
- Cop cop cop.
- Was I going that fast?
- I couldn’t have been.
- I’ll just slowly take my foot off of the gas.
- Oh he’s gone…
- Good thing I’m almost to work.
- Stay green stay green..
- Woohoo made it!!
- Just gotta use my turning signal like the good little driver that I am.
- Almost there.
- Speed bump.
- Always forget about the speed bumps.
- Anddd were here…Thanks little buddy..be back soon!