I turn 27 today.
I am only three years away from turning 30..
Breathe Megan..you’ve got this..
After having a mild heart attack wondering how I went from 22 to 27 so fast. Seriously..I’m not just saying this..it feels like just yesterday I was walking through Monmouth on my way to class with my track clothes on. I have no idea how I turned into an adult..and how do I make it stop?
I love Birthdays, so much, and for that reason I tried to think of any way to make this Birthday better than the rest.
26 was a wonderful year full of new things and lots of love, but I want 27 to be better..if that’s even possible. I spent quite a bit of time trying to think of how to start this year off with a bang.
Then it came to me.
Seeing other people happy makes me happy, and I love surprising people, so why don’t I give back for my birthday this year.
I got to brainstorming and came up with 27 ways that I could give others happiness for my birthday. It was going to be hard but it was going to be worth it. The week leading up to my birthday..or Birthday Week as I like to call it..I would complete 27 acts of kindness for 27 years on this earth.
27 for 27.
- Put sticky notes on mirrors in bathrooms at work with words of encouragement.
- Send flowers to my mom thanking her for putting up with me for 27 years.
- Buy coffee for the car behind me at Starbucks.
- Bring cookies to my morning crew at my local Dutch Brothers.
- Put cookies in the mailbox for the mailman.
- Put two dollars in envelopes on vending machines at work with a note on them that read “buy a snack on me.”
- Put quarters in sticker and toy machines at Fred Meyer.
- Write a letter to my best friend just to tell her how awesome she is.
- Bring my dad lunch and sit down and have lunch with him.
- Cut coupons and tape them to the specific item at the store.
- Buy the person behind me in line their Chipotle.
- Collect shopping carts outside of Target and put them in the cart racks.
- Bring my sister a balloon to work.
- Donate clothes to the Salvation Army.
- Leave our neighbor a note with a coffee gift card on his car.
- Leave a note in my favorite book at book bin with an encouraging message.
- Leave my husband a note thanking him for being wonderful and for all that he does.
- Make cards for each of my coworkers thanking them for the awesome job that they do.
- Leave positive notes around a store with empowering quotes on them.
- Leave popcorn on a redbox with a note saying “enjoy some popcorn with your movie.”
- Leave packets of sticky notes on random desks at work with positive quotes on them.
- Tape a dollar to candy bars at Target.
- Put money in an envelope and tape it to a box of diapers with a note saying “parenting is hard, here’s some help.”
- Bring donuts to cops.
- Leave tennis balls at the dog park.
- Leave a coffee gift card for my little brother just because.
- Leave words of encouragement all around the campus at work.
27 was a lot, but it seriously felt great.
The very first thing I did was leave my mailman a pack of Oreo’s thanking them for their service, and as I was pulling away from the mailbox I heard on the radio that it was national thank a mail carrier day..I literally gave myself a high-five. I was so surprised and so weirdly excited that they were going to get this on a day where they probably weren’t expecting anything.
That left me in a great mood, so I went to my favorite Dutch Brothers location to give them some cookies I made..their reaction was so worth it. They were genuinely happy and surprised and it felt great.
The first two things I did felt great, I could have stopped there because I already felt like I succeeded. That’s how easy it is.
The world needs more kindness. We need more people willing to step up and do acts of kindness. One simple act can go so far, you can completely turn someones day around just by sending them a letter in the mail. Seriously. I’m not saying that you need to run around with a basket full of glitter passing out unicorn stickers (I’m all for stickers) but just the smallest of things can make a difference.
If you get a chance to do something for someone else..
Big or small.
Buy the car behind you a cup of coffee..
Thank your coworker for always going above and beyond..
Send someone flowers just because.
Whatever it is do something, you will feel so good and you will encourage others to do the same with your actions.
Cheers to 27.